Cellulite is that dreaded “C”-word that has women cowering at the thought. Of course, for those of us who have had it from a very young age and are rather used to the look on our bodies, it’s not as painful to think and talk about. Then again, if we are given half the chance to get rid of it, I don’t know a single woman who would hesitate. Throughout the years, females have gone to rather strange lengths to get rid of those pesky dimples in the skin on our thighs and buttocks. You can actually get rid of it as well, just not the way you think. For example, women have resorted to anything from vacuuming over the puckered skin, rubbing citrus fruit or apple cider vinegar into the skin, taking a mud bath infused with electrolytes, and taking a seaweed bath.
The way to remove those dimples is not always inexpensive, particularly when you fall prey to the myth of wraps, lipo-lasers, fat-suctioning, etc. How you actually can get rid of those fatty looks and achieve smoother skin is through a few different routes. Doctor Oz had his share of strange methods, including, but not limited to a dry brush and wet foods. Check out the 6 weirdest cellulite treatments that actually do work!
1. Dry Brush: You can achieve what an expensive treatment by a doctor would with simply a $20 dry brush that you would work in circular motion up from the lower parts of your leg, exfoliating the dead skin away as you go. This does the job right and doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg. Furthermore, you can do it as often as needed, without booking an appointment with your doctor.
2. Hydrating Foods: Wet foods with lots of water stored inside to hydrate the body are a great way to fight off cellulite. Strawberries, watermelons, cantaloupe and cucumbers fall smack into that category. They have the water you need for the collagen and the nutrients needed to flatten out the areas distorted with the fatty cellulite, rebuilding your actual shape.
3. Cucumbers: We already mentioned cucumbers are great for hydrating from the inside, but they are also amazing when applied directly to the skin. This allows phytochemicals in the vegetable to tighten the collagen for a firmer complexion, causing almost instant reduction of cellulite problems.
4. Tomato Paste: There’s a reason women from the Middle East are often healthy despite having larger bodies. Furthermore, you see less evidence of cellulite. This is because aside from eating the tomatoes raw, they make sun-dried tomato paste, cleaned out of its preservatives and ready to cook with. The paste is high in lycopene, which is an anti-oxidant that fights off the effects of UV rays from the sun. This also helps build a thick layer over your fat, reducing the visibility of the unwanted cellulite.
5. Coffee Scrub: Your blood vessels will see particular tightening with the caffeine in coffee drinks, especially when used on top of the skin, allowing toxins to be released and metabolized. Olive oil and coffee grounds, or perhaps either coconut or almond (we love the coconut ourselves, but you may not always be able to get your hands on it), make for a lovely aromatic paste to spread over your problem areas.
6. Seaweed Baths: It’s an old wives’ tale and it seems to have some sort of truth to it. A French treatment known as thassalotherapy, this process includes both hot water and seaweed, either as a bath or a wrap. The high levels of iodine in the seaweed increase the thyroid functions and improve blood circulation, which in turn helps to minimize the look of cellulite on thighs and buttocks. Powdered seaweed can be mixed with clay, honey and lime juice, being a perfect DIY treatment for cellulite.
7. Gelatin: When we think of chicken, we think of grilled, fried, or BBQ, but we rarely think about eating the neck portion or the joint on the legs, instead only considering the white and dark meats. Add a little bit of sauce and you have a terrific fast food meal. The truth is that the joints have gelatin, and this is pure nutrients without the sugar you may find in other products. It is the best food for collagen production and is really important for the body as a whole. In some regions of the world, where nutrients are scarce and poverty reigns, chewing on animal gelatin is the best form of ensuring the body’s fit enough to fight off the elements. JELL-O is the most common way we get our gelatin these days, or you may find gelatin powder in health food stores to mix in your morning beverage. Either way, you’ll be counteracting your collagen deficiency incredibly fast.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Don’t Miss: Removing Cellulite From The Thighs