Some makeup and beauty hacks may come off as a surprise but fashion and beauty bloggers are the masters at figuring out the best means to produce optimal stylish results. There are certainly no rules when it comes to beauty and you have social media sites such as Pinterest, Instagram, as well as Youtube and blog sites hosting a whole bunch of pretty sweet and perfectly useful beauty hacks that come in handy when we are in do-it-yourself situations. When scouring the Internet for new advice on old problems, you will most certainly come across some strange and awesome ways to thicken hair, whiten teeth and fake long lashes, not to mention getting a hair color boost, treating acne or strengthening nails.
Perhaps these beauty tips and hacks from popular beauty bloggers might come in handy when perfecting your look!
To whiten teeth naturally…
• Use a banana peel over your teeth, keeping the paste on for 10 minutes before washing off and brushing teeth. The potassium, magnesium and manganese in the peel are absorbed by the teeth and are made to become whiter naturally.
• Use lemon or orange peels to whiten teeth by rubbing against the enamel. You should always rinse afterwards as the acid can begin chipping away at the enamel, but it is good for you and certainly has a positive effect. Use it once or twice a week for safest optimal results.
To strengthen nails…
• Lemon juice and olive oil make for a great concoction that naturally strengthens the nails. A few drops of lemon juice in with a tablespoon of the oil should be enough to bring out the hard nails. Just pull your hands into cotton gloves afterwards and leave them on while you sleep.
• Some bloggers have decided that mixing minced garlic with clear nail polish makes for a hardening treatment in the base coat though there is no scientific study to prove it. Then again, most natural remedies just work without scientific reasoning.
To fake thicker looking lashes…
• Curl lashes, apply your mascara as you always do but now you should be adding some baby powder to the strands with a Q-tip before covering over it with another couple of swipes of the mascara. This should add both length and volume.
• While you normally coat the lash from the bottom only, curling it upwards as you go, try also applying the mascara from the top, pushing down first and then applying from the bottom to build the curl back in.
To boost brunette color…
• Use cocoa for deeper brunette color by mixing 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 teaspoon honey, and 1 teaspoon apple-cider vinegar into a paste that you apply after shampooing, keep it in for up to 3 minutes and let the honey moisturize while the vinegar and yogurt allow the cocoa pigment to seep in. Pretty cool!
• You can also use ground coffee in your conditioner and apply like a hair mask. The longer you leave it in, the richer the color will be.
To treat acne…
• Turmeric powder can be mixed with a bit of almond oil and a few drops of whole milk to create a pretty effective mask to help soothe the skin and get rid of those pesky pimples. Do it once a week and you’ll realize just how smooth your skin will become.
• A Pepto Bismol facial is an interesting way to treat acne but some bloggers swear by the results, wherein the active ingredient in the medicine, bismuth subsalicylate, works to dry out oil and reduce inflammation.
To get big volume in hair…
• Beer is an interesting choice for a hair mask and certainly worth the try it seems. We’ve been hearing about its effects on hair for years now and it may be worth a shot. The yeast contained in each bottle works to plump up limp strands as you let it sit for a few hours before mixing with hair oil and adding to your hair for a 15-minute period during which time you can be sure you’ll be smelling like a brewery.
• Give your hair a better blow dry by sectioning off the strands and directing the hot air directly to the roots toward the scalp. This cooks the base and gives you an extra oomph that looks amazing in terms of adding height to your crown.
To open up pores…
• One great way to keep your pores open so you can get a maximum clean is by placing a clean towel over a clothes steamer and holding it six inches away from your face for a mini spa experience. You can also try a steam treatment using a pot of antioxidant-rich green tea.
• A funky way to clean out those pores is through a tomato facial, where you help cleanse and rejuvenate the skin on your face. Slice a ripe tomato and rub directly on your skin, wherein you will leave the mask on for up to 3 minutes before rinsing it out. This opens the pores and gives you a deeper cleanse when you rinse and add your toner.
To make lip stains…
• One super easy way to make lip stains is to mix powder blush in with either a chapstick or foundation primer. You can also use Vaseline as the base and mix in a shimmery blush powder.
• A fun blackberry colored stain can be achieved by mixing in a couple of fresh or frozen blackberries in with you typical clear lip balm, essentially giving it the stain colour you’ve been hoping for. You can also use olive oil instead of the lip balm, taking raspberries and blackberries, mashing them in a bowl, adding the olive oil and draining the liquid away from the seeds and chunks before applying it to your lips. This will give a great stain but careful not to also get it in your shirt!
Photos courtesy of Teni Panosian, Sona Gasparian
Don’t miss: 60 Of The Best Ever Hair Care Secrets Revealed