Whitening your teeth can be a bit of a hassle and spending loads of money on chemical products or going in to the dentist for a squeaky clean is rather daunting. That pearly smile, however, is certainly desired for it is known to make you appear a whole lot more approachable by those around you. According to a Match.com survey, white teeth were among the top features 71% of women and 58% of men looked for, after having asked over 5500 people. The way your teeth look also determine your health so you will always want to keep the clean and bright, glinting in the sunlight. While the specialists might offer to use certain methods and the pharmacies may sell all types of formulas, you might want to give it a try at home yourself, using the products you have lying around your home instead. After all, you don’t necessarily need to spend extra money all the time, even if it does become a necessity in some particular cases. When it comes to simply whitening your pearly whites, you can stick to the old wives’ tales as well, for the most part. We have taken information from those who swear by the natural methods and present to you on a silver platter a few of the top ways you can whiten your teeth, caveman style. While you may not see instantaneous whites within a week, you will certainly see a difference and sticking to your routine will be the best way to ensure the slow and steady version of whitening certainly wins the race.
• Go for the Banana Peel: While it sounds a little on the strange side… okay, very much on the strange side, using the inside of the banana peel to whiten your teeth actually works! Rub the inside portion against your teeth, one minute at the top and one at the bottom and let the residue sit there for about ten minutes before using a dry toothbrush to clean it up. It is a natural method many swear by and while scientific evidence is not what we are using here, anecdotal evidence certainly suggests there are whitening powers in a banana peel.
• Eat Lots of Cheese: While it may not whiten the teeth on its own per se, eating cheese has shown up as having anti-cavity properties and the increased saliva production helps wash off the residue staining your teeth at the moment. So for nothing else but to keep teeth in a healthier state, do eat lots of cheese!
• Bring on the Strawberries: Many of the stars, including Tyra Banks and Catherine Zeta Jones, know how lovely your teeth look after rubbing on the strawberries and eating them afterwards. You should be careful with the citric fruits though, as, while they clear out the plaque and other debris, studies have shown it reducing the surface hardness of the bone by 10% through erosion. We certainly do suggest having a healthy amount of the fruit on a regular basis though. You can also add salt and baking soda to the strawberries and create a scrub that would break down all the unwanted matter. The salt acts as an abrasive scrubbing away the stains, while the baking soda does much in terms of augmenting the effect of the salt. You will need at least 2 strawberries, a pinch of sea salt and ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Mash them together and put on your teeth for 5 minutes. The results will be fantastic. You can do this a few times a week.
• Apple Cider Vinegar: This is an awesome way to remove the stains from your teeth easily and kill the bacteria living in your mouth. Mixing half a teaspoon with water will ensure the acid levels are lowered, and brushing with regular toothpaste afterwards will have double the effect. With this, you will see very professional-like results, but only after a month of usage. It would be important to stay vigilant and brush afterwards with regular toothpaste to remove the acidity from your pretty teeth and make you more confident with your smile.
• Baking Soda and Lemon Juice: The baking soda is rather abrasive and perfect to scrub away all the dirt and staining, with the lemon juice being more of a natural bleach. This is certainly one combination we have used before and can attest to it working quite soundly. Just don’t overdo it, as it is acid and abrasion you are using. Play with the amount you use and you will find the perfect balance for your own teeth. Use it often enough to get the right results without hurting your teeth in the process. We’d recommend once or twice a week, as per Middle Eastern instructions. You can use the baking soda on its own for 2-3 days consecutively before giving it a break and coming back a few days later.
• Coconut Oil for Rinsing: You will need about a tablespoon of coconut oil for this awesome natural whitening method that will bleach your teeth, so to say, with ease. This is called oil polling as well, and is a very old remedy that people swear by to help whiten the teeth. It promotes gum health and keeps your teeth from yellowing from the plaque build-up. Plus, the fresh breath is a nice bonus. Before brushing your teeth you should scoop out a tablespoon of the oil, cold pressed preferably, and swish it around your mouth for up to 15 minutes before spitting out and brushing teeth. It is awesome and many see the benefits rather quickly.
• Avoid the Dark Drinks! It may seem rather obvious, but most people still drink lots of coffee, lots of coke and lots of black tea. Keep away from these things that can cause your teeth to turn yellow and plaque to build up. Keep away from cigarettes as well, as smoking certainly is not helping your teeth or your gums.
Photo courtesy of Maybelline