To be a woman is difficult, particularly when fashion demands the sacrifice of your comfort and requires you to soak your aching feet in therapeutic hot baths every night. Those heels may have you looking leggy and sexy, building up your confidence as they add to your height, but there’s nothing better than putting on those sneakers and literally sneaking out of the house in something that will let you run around the city without hassle. It’s a good thing midi and maxi skirts with sneakers are in style once again, giving you a trendy but non-painful option when going out this evening (and throughout the season). We often wear those sneakers with jeans, but it’s about time they were made to work with skirts as well. After all, men have had their share of trendy fun with sneakers under suits!
Secretaries of the 1980s might pop into mind but some of you are too young to remember those days so it would be hard to find the look … demeaning? Not quite sure how you would describe a trend that brings backward fashion to mind, particularly one that reminds us of labour costumes from 30 years ago, at least. However, the varying styles of running shoes these days can make one look incredibly stylish, cool and fashion-forward in mindset.
We’ve picked 10 of our favorite styles for your viewing pleasure. Which would you choose?
1. Forget the maxis and midis, this mini skirt is rocking it with the pink sneakers, tucked in white shirt and stylish overcoat. A little black back with a beautiful design is all that’s needed to complete the look. Where otherwise the style would have been boardroom perfect (with the skirt a few inches longer of course), those sneakers give it character and the fall chill no longer feels so cold against out skin. It’s a pretty look and we pretty much love it.
2. Nothing casual elegance quite like printed sneakers and when that’s paired with an outfit consisting of a black midi skirt and plain black slightly looser fitting top, it works like a charm. You are a woman in a hurry but you don’t want to hit the streets looking less than elegant, which makes this look the perfect fit for you. Don’t forget to add the larger clutch, watch to tell the time and glasses to complete the look either!
3. A fitted midi skirt goes great with the oversized knit cowl-neck sweater in beige. The navy denim sneakers are perfect with the look, added a pit of pizazz to the otherwise fashionable but safe look. The leather and chain little cross-body bag adds its own charm to the outfit as a whole and we have ourselves a winner in the realm of fashion.
4. We are simply in love. There’s no other way to describe the beating heart in our chest when we look at this outfit. Chic, trendy and utterly desirable is what it is. Midi skirt that ends over the knees is sexy beyond belief in itself, while the knee-length overcoat is lovely, soft and looks beyond comfortable. Denim sneakers added to the mix remind us of a chameleon look. She could be carrying around a pair of heels to change into once she gets to the office, but this look alone is enough of a heartthrob.
5. Well, if we thought the last look was simply amazing, this one is absolutely perfect. A metallic leather purse matches the light gray fluffy skirt and the gray top quite nicely, while the neon colored sneakers give the elegant outfit a more casual outlook. Of course, those can once again be replaced with pumps should the moment require it, but walking down the streets with this look is good enough.
6. We’ve got to have a crop top in there somewhere and the crop sweater with turtleneck combined with a rather casual looking baby pink midi skirt with a slit up to mid-thigh is lovely. The sporty look is complemented with the elegance of a white colored sneaker, giving the outfit a 5/5 rating!
7. Who said you’ve got to be matching to pull of the trendy sneaker look? Going to classes or taking casual stroll down the street never looked so good as when we threw a loose-fitting warm sweater over a pretty little white skirt, added a denim jacket and black cross-body bag, and clad those feet in dark blue sneakers. It may not be what you imagined a matching set would look like, but it most certainly screams fashion and comfort all in one.
8. Speaking about cropped sweaters, this all white look is impeccable and rather reminds us of a tennis match. Bared midriff and all, this look is perfect with the cropped trousers and black and white sneakers, additionally complemented with a larger gray bag. It’s sexy and sassy while with demure undertones. Interesting look to say the least!
9. Those same sneakers look positively lovely when added to a starry sky combination of tight midi skirt and loose knit top, all dark gray and glittering with white stars. It’s a great casual look as we walk down the street or maybe head off for a run. The cross-body bag frees up the hands to really get that shopping done.
10. The college schoolgirl look is most definitely fun and trendy, with the jock jacket, loose gray sweater, shirt black and white print mini skirt, thick black tights and denim sneakers with a white sole. Between the haircut and the accessories we see here, this outfit has been completed perfectly. It’s got a bit of sass a whole lot of class and just a pinch of pizazz.
Photos courtesy of Sincerely Jules, Natalie Off Duty