Remember the stick on tattoos that rubbed off easily with water that we got used to in the ‘90s and early 2000’s? Remember how awesome they made us feel, no matter how awkward an art piece they were? Remember your mother’s admonishments when she found you with your limbs full of the weirdest cartoon characters and immediately made you take a shower where she supervised the scrubbing off of the monstrosities? We bet what you remember best is how awesome you felt as you walked around with your very own tattoo, knowing full well you can change it anytime you like into something newer and better. It was a liberating experience to know you are in control over your own body.
This year, it appears that one of the biggest summer trends is indeed the temporary flash tattoos to add a fun and trendy twist to your outfits as you enjoy your days out in the sunshine. No matter the outfit, it appears these pieces are perfect for offering a cute alternative to typical jewellery accessories. They are great for the beach, for the music festivals that you will be attending time and again over the next 2 months, the quintessential BBQ meet ups, and the dates that require a bit more of personality to be present. It is a very trendy accessory to wear these days, stuck to your body and without any chance of being stolen in order to be sold to the highest bidder as is the case with real gold jewellery. How it works? Place the tattoo on your skin, dampen it up and peel the applicator away, leaving in its place an awesome metallic colored unmovable accessory.
How exactly should you be wearing flash tattoos to be right, though? We cannot exactly show off our tats the way we did 10-15 years ago when we were but newly reaching our teenage years. Thankfully, there are a few guides out there to show us what looks best and many people who would love to point you in the right direction.
1. Wear it like a celebrity would: This is a very ambiguous hint but it makes sense really. After all, celebs are our source of fashion inspiration! Flash tats have become big because of celebrity endorsements as it is, but if you still want to know how it looks, check out the way Vanessa Hudgens wore it at Coachella 2015. She had it on her arm as a tribal armband, wearing an intriguing Sassanian figure across the top of her abdomen with a Child of Wild x Flash Tattoos piece as well. Queen B has her own line in black, on the other hand, and that one fills up the body with more traditional temporary tats, from the Temptu for Dereon Tattoos line. Celebrities have been donning these awesome looks for a few months now and it is only becoming more prevalent among the paparazzi photo shoots.
2. Keep it totally colorful: The more colors you add, the lovelier your flash tattoos will look really. It is all about dazzling the eyes of those looking your way, the “Illia” pack containing some rather cute designs for you. You can have it all over the arms and neck, particularly taking over the wrist regions with multiple styles. The brightness of some artist collections, such as Charmaine Olivia’s “Be Bright” pieces, allow one to embrace the inner mermaid we all have dwelling in us.
3. Feel the chic in the boho looks: One of the biggest trends of the year is the boho chic fashion, which appears in the way we have been dressed, from the garments to the accessories. Travellers can feel even more of the exotic feel with the pretty golden flash tattoos now, dreaming of their awesome getaways. The wanderlust sets in and the tats only serve to give you more of that tribal feel as you can imagine yourself on a deserted island with your loved ones or simply meeting lost strangers. Boho combined with exotic is where we are most comfortable it seems.
4. Bring it to the beach: One of the best places to be wearing the flash tattoos is at the beach, on your body as incredibly eye catching pieces that take up no space and have no weight to them. You do not even need to worry about anything getting lost. You can rock the temp tattoos down your back and around your midriff as well, but should consider that tan lines they will eventually leave behind.
5. Give it some extra glam: For those of us you like to show off a little more, wear a bit more bling and generally appear to be the women in charge of the Amazon, the flaunting of the glamour that defines you through a gorgeous metallic flash tattoo. You can use it in alignment down your back, kind of like aligning the chakras as you do your yoga, or wear it around your arms, adding glam to your exercise routines.
6. Exotic is the name of the game: Whether you plan to look like an Amazon queen or a Saharan princess, the inner regal lady in you will be stunningly beautiful with a set of stunning metallic tattoos shaped to show off tribal designs from Child of Wild. The Desert Dweller sets are most intriguing indeed, with tats extending down from under the chin as well to the center of the chest. There are even the Kurdish slavery designs that had become big during the early 1900s, now seen not as a mark of property but to show off a woman’s integral beauty. Egyptian scarabs and ankhs line the nape and under the ears as well, extending to between the shoulder blades to show off the ancient in modern style.
Photos courtesy of Viva Luxury Blog, Pinterest