While intricate nail art designs are capable of concealing the yellowness of your nails, there are times when you want to go natural or wear the classic French manicure and it’s here that you start to wonder how to whiten nails easily. Yellow nails look unhealthy and unflattering, however, fortunately this problem can be easily and completely diminished and you really don’t have to visit beauty salons for this. Here are some easy methods of whitening nails at home using professional tools and natural remedies.
Causes of Yellow Nails
The nail bleaching process is absolutely safe for health and simple. Certain formulas are applied to the nail plate to remove the yellow stains and brighten up the surface. Your choice of this or that type of bleaching method should depend on the cause of the yellowness. Among the common causes we can mention smoking, fungal infections, in case of which the nail gets a brownish yellow coloring and even has an unpleasant smell, and other health problems, including vitamin and mineral deficiency. Another common problem can be the lack of oxygen, when the nails can’t breathe well as a result of which they turn yellow. So it’s a good idea to consult with the doctor prior to taking any nail bleaching measures.
The frequent use of nail lacquers can also give the unpleasant yellow coloring to your nails, so make sure to take breaks in between your manicure procedures. For example, you can have polished nails for some 5 days and then take a break of 1-2 days. It’s also a good idea to pick special nail varnishes that don’t contain formaldehyde in their formula, which is the exact ingredient that leads to yellow nails.
Using Whitening Nail Pencils and Polishes
In case you are looking for a quick solution to the problem, you can use a whitening nail pencil, which actually brings only temporary results. Such pencils are basically for creating the famous French manicure and aren’t meant for bleaching the nails, however, you can use them for such purposes too. You need to apply it on the inside of the nails, preferably before going to bed, since the paint easily washes off and it’s advised to keep it on for an overnight. In the morning, when you wash your hands, you’ll notice that your nails have become slightly whiter.
Whitening nail polishes are other types of products usually used to whiten nails, which actually prove to be quite effective. You just need to apply it like an ordinary nail polish covering the entire surface of your nails. Make sure you pick ones that contain titanium oxide in their formula, if you want really quick improvements.
To prevent any stains on your nails you can always brush a base coat over your nails prior to applying your nail polish. On the days when you don’t want to use any nail polish colors, you can simply wear the base coat.
Natural Remedies for Whitening Nails
Surely the best and most effective remedies for yellow nails are those based on natural ingredients you can take right from our kitchen. Such treatments don’t cost much and you are sure of the naturalness and usefulness of the formula used. Here are some really effective DIY nail whiteners you can use to get rid of the problem!
• Soda: Take 1 tbsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 2,5 tbsp of baking soda and mix them in a bowl until you get a smooth paste. Apply the paste with a cotton swab on the surface of your nails and under the nail tips. After some 3 minutes, wash off the paste using lukewarm water. Even after the first application you’ll notice great improvements, however, you need to repeat this treatment once every six to eight weeks for better results.
• Lemon: Lemon is a great remedy not only for skin, but also for yellow nails. The easiest way of using it is squeezing some lemon juice and applying it on the nails. Wait for 5-7 minutes and rinse off the lemon with warm water. This procedure might cause dry skin, so make sure to apply a nourishing hand cream on your hands.
• Lemon + Soap: Another method of using lemon for whitening nails is taking ¼ cup of lemon juice and mixing it with 1 cup of warm water and 1+2 tbsp liquid soap. Soak your nails into the mixture and wait for some 5 minutes. Wash your hands with lukewarm water and apply a lotion or moisturizing cream.
• Lemon + Soda: Both lemon and baking soda are effective nail whiteners and the combination of the two will be a powerful remedy for your nails. Combine 1 tbsp of lemon juice with 2-3 tbsp of baking soda getting a smooth paste. Apply the paste all over the surface of your nails and underneath the nail tips, leaving it on for 10-15 minutes prior to washing it away with soap and water.
• Lemon + Salt: Take equal proportions of lemon juice and salt and stir them in a container, getting a scrub consistency. Apply your DIY nail scrub on your hands and the nails, waiting for 5 minutes. Wash your hands with lukewarm water and you are done.
• Toothpaste: A regular whitening toothpaste can whiten not only your teeth, but also yellow nails. You need to simply apply it on your nails and then rinse with warm water after waiting for 5 minutes. Repeat this procedure a few times a week to notice great improvements.
• Sea Salt: Add a few tbsp of sea salt into 250 ml of warm water and soak your nails into the mixture, waiting until the solution cools. Then simply rinse your hands with lukewarm water.
• White Vinegar: Take 250 ml of warm water and mix it with 1 tbsp of distilled white vinegar in a bowl. Soak your nails into the solution, waiting for 8 minutes. Rinse your hands with lukewarm water and apply a lotion or moisturizing cream.
You are sure to get rid of the yellow stains on your nails using any of the above-mentioned remedies, as well as leading a healthy lifestyle, which is exactly what you need to stick to in order prevent any further complications.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Don’t miss: 10 Nail Care Tips For The Perfect Hands