As a woman, the calorie count really matters when it comes to the foods ingested, particularly during certain times of the month, or even during our lifetime (ex. pregnancy). We look at our bodies and hang our heads in shame, forever unhappy with the lump we see before us. Backside’s too big, the thighs are thundering, the belly is hanging, the breasts are sagging, the arms are too big, there is a double chin, the calves don’t fit into all types of boots, etc. There are so many things that are worries for us that we simply cannot appreciate the good about it all. Furthermore, hitting the gym is out of the question for a thousand and one reasons, though doing home exercises should not be too hard to make time for. Hitting the gym is not the only way you can set your torch to those calories though, as there are certain calorie burning foods which will help you slim down as well.
1. Eggs: It may seem strange considering the fat contained in the eggs, but these awesome little things are perfect as they contain super protein, all nine of the essential amino acids and it has been proven that people who eat eggs for breakfast consistently feel fuller for longer periods of time and reduce their overall caloric consumption, in essence leading to weight loss. Eat it for breakfast and let your metabolism do the work throughout the day.
2. Chia Seeds: In Central and South America, chia seeds have always been used as medicinal food to prevent diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular diseases. There are many ways to eat the chia seeds, so it may be wise to dig up a few recipes from the south and get cooking, since you will love the fact that they are full of protein fibres and anti-inflammatory fats, a mere teaspoon amounting for about 2500 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids, and a whole boatload of phytonutrients. It is definitely a recommended food for intake.
3. Cinnamon: Put the cinnamon in foods, in teas, in everything you can think of. Have it with honey and nuts or throw in a stick while you’re cooking or making soup. It is essentially a fat-burning powerhouse that boosts the metabolism and helps the body block the absorption of glucose, enhancing the insulin’s actions to clear the sugar from your blood. It is anti-inflammatory and counteracts obesity, while slowing down gastric emptying and stabilizing the blood sugar. Add it to your morning coffee and you’re ready to go!
4. Ginger: The universal remedy for just about everything, ginger consumption is quite necessary, no matter how you end up doing it. Add it to your stir-fry or steep in your tea. It is perfect for calming the stomach and helping you burn fat while having anti-inflammatory, anti-hypertensive, glucose-sensitizing, and stimulating effects on the gastrointestinal tract. It eases hunger and gets rid of constipation, belching, bloating, epigastric discomfort indigestion, nausea and a whole slew of other problems, acting like the natural version of TUMS or Pepto Bismol.
5. Berries: We love berries. No matter how many you eat at any time of the year, berries are awesome. You can make smoothie shakes out of them or eat them raw, knowing that they fight diseases and protect the heart. Go for the cranberries and the strawberries, as well as those succulent blueberries. They will help reduce your weight, inhibit fat accumulation in general, and re perfect to reduce inflammations or deal with diabetic problems. They won’t allow for harmful pathogens to grow in your gut either, ensuring you are perfectly healthy at all times. Remember that anything red is good for the heart and blood, so load up on those berries as soon as you know you can get some fresh, especially if they are organically grown.
6. Cayenne Peppers: If you ever wanted to light up your metabolism on fire, you probably want to add cayenne peppers to your food rations, though stay far away from capsaicin supplements. You want the spice to work its magic in its raw or cooked forms, triggering your stress hormones in order to oxidise fat effectively. It’s literally like being scared or extremely stressed out. You literally feel like something is eating at you, and it is in a way. The fat becomes fuel for the metabolism in literally about 20 minutes after you eat the cayenne pepper, going into overdrive.
7. Green Tea: We have always know that the Asian populations were on to something when we realized they simply love their tea, particularly the green tea. When it comes to weight loss and fat burning, teas in general are super foods which meet our needs quite nicely. Green tea in itself has caffeine in it that activates the nervous system and enhances the amount of energy you have, along with oxidizing the fat your body loves to hold onto. Your metabolism also speeds up quite nicely. Having 2-3 cups a day of the green tea should get those love handles melted up in no time. Plus, it helps with improving the health of your gastrointestinal tract, which many foods can cause problems with.
8. Quinoa: The gluten free diet that includes quinoa means that you will be losing weight in no time because the magnesium found in this awesome food regulated your energy and controls your blood sugar quite nicely. It is also quite filling so adding this grain to any of your meals will mean you eat less and feel full no matter what. Rinse it thoroughly before using though, as the coating of the quinoa could be potentially toxic, and be careful with the amount of intake if you have kidney stone problems in general.
9. Avocado: Who doesn’t love avocados? Honestly, they are some of the best ingredients in any healthy food recipe, a rare food with high amounts of anti-inflammatory fats. Notice that fats seem to fight fats? There are good ones and bad ones, so you need to be careful about which your specific meal contains. Protein and fibres are also available in the plenty here, while avocado oil contains omga-9 fat, which is known to really quiet down your hunger. It also protects against abdominal fat formations. Have half an avocado a day and you are going to love what it does to you, to every inch of your body.
Photo courtesy of Vogue Brazil