Drawing inspiration from nature can lead to smashing makeup looks that will hardly leave anyone indifferent. To this end, paradise is perhaps the best place to look to, since this is the most charming corner created by God for true admirers of heavenly beauty. Its ambrosial colors and exotic nature, such as peacocks More...
Ever since the Illamasqua I’mperfection spring 2013 makeup collection got launched, almost every girl got hooked on the amazing speckled effect simple makeup products can create. Speckled eyeliner does look chic and special, and although quite simple techniques are required for achieving the speckled makeup, you can More...
Although small details, nails have a great impact on a woman’s stylish look. Beautiful, well-groomed hands and nails are the first steps of creating a trendsetter’s image. Like anything else, nail trends are also extremely diverse this season, so everyone is sure to find something alluring for her. From natural More...
What we all especially love about every new season is that it unveils new gorgeous fashion trends and breathes freshness and liveliness into our wardrobes. Judging by the fashion shows of the world-famous brands’ collections showcased in New York, London, Milan and Paris, the upcoming spring/ summer 2013 fashion More...
The color of coolness, freshness and the sea breeze, the color of your favorite cocktail, the color of vigor and courage… It’s all about the color of mint. A softer shade of green and turquoise, mint green is a great hit for the up and coming season and we can’t get enough of this fresh shade! Minty fashion is More...
Color Blocking Trend: How to ColorblockSun, July 22, 2012
Rainbow bright colors instantly catch the eye, but also put many fashionisers in a difficult position. How to colorblock? How to choose a colorful clothing piece right, how to combine bright and bold colors, how embrace the color blocking trend without looking like a walking color wheel? At first sight, all these questions seem to be unsolvable and many girls and women quite often just avoid the color blocking trend in order not to make any fashion mistakes. However, we all know that fashion loves boldness, creativeness and experiments. So let’s learn how to color block right and look gorgeous and bright.
What is Color Blocking
The name of this fashionable trend is everywhere now, from red carpet events and fashion editorials to the street style and our favorite stores. The main principle of the color blocking trend is the combination of different colors and hues. You can create a more modest color couple with two hues of the same color family or go wilder and try three or more eye-popping hues. Actually, this is what bothers fashionisers – how to determine what colors create a harmonious union? What to do to avoid too loud and overdone looks?
Color Blocking Tips
The main rule of colorblocking is to avoid sharp contrasts. The color pair must remain within the same sentiment. Major colors go with major ones, while minors create a beautiful union with minor ones. This is why pink looks so amazing in combination with orange, while the same pink is just unbearable when matched with light green.
The simplest solution is to follow the rule of the “color wheel”. Colors are located in the spectrum on the basis of an organic transition from one to another. Those colors, which are on both sides of a particular color, will be the best for it to form a color-blocking union. For example, red looks most adventurous with orange or purple (or pink), yellow goes well with light green or mustard, while turquoise with blue or green. First come the basic colors, which are red, yellow and blue, and only then the secondary ones, that is their derivatives – green, purple and orange, complemented by the tertiary colors, which are formed from the subsequent combination.
It’s particularly important for beginners to study all the facets of the color spectrum. If you have always loved to wear very neutral colors, blacks and whites, don’t rush to dress in all the possible rainbow hues. Instead, choose a pair of complementary hues, such as blue with dark blue, pink with red, lilac with purple.
Some More Style Secrets about Color Blocking
• Pink has a special place in the color-blocking system. It can be easily replaced by red and used in all the possible color combinations that are usually applied to red.
• Emerald green and bright red blend perfectly with each other due to the so called “jewelry” factor. Both shades exude a real precious shine, as do gold and copper.
• It’s important to stick to the same saturation of colors: neons go well with neons, while pastels with pastel hues.
• Try to play within the range of three colors in one outfit to avoid any style blunders. The fourth one will look already too much.
• Pay attention to your complexion and hair color. For example, cobalt and juicy green hues lose their charm on the background of a pale complexion and blond hair.
• Keep in mind that too bright and massive color blocking tends to make your figure look bigger.
• The easiest and safest way of colorblocking is to wear neutral outfits with some bright accessories, such as a pair of bright shoes in two colors, a colorful handbag or a two-tone bracelet.
• If you are still afraid of colorblocking, but you want to brighten up your look, you can try ready-to-wear color-blocked pieces, like a dress featuring two or three colors.
• Don’t shy away from printed pieces while colorblocking, but keep this to the minimum. For example, you can wear a printed scarf with your color-blocked outfits.
What to Wear with Color-Blocked Outfits
While wearing color-blocked outfits, it’s important to feel the limits. Bright and color-blocked outfits should be complemented only with neutral and minimalist accessories. If you have chosen a light spring color-blocked dress (like orange and purple, or red and blue), go for neutral accessories. Think modest and elegant nude pumps or a beige clutch, plain necklaces or bracelets that will not attract additional attention. Also make sure to wear a maximum natural makeup with color-blocked outfits.
Last but not least, a very important rule of wearing the color blocking trend is to be self-confident and never feel afraid to show off your style imagination and mood. Always experiment and you’ll discover a new self of you in every new color!
Photos courtesy of Getty Images