Men don’t find it sexy and attractive and this is considered not to make you look thin. It’s a bit costumery, a detail that was hugely criticized in the past for being difficult to pull off, yet one thing is sure – peplums are fun, jolly and unique. And they are most certainly not a look that only slim girls can wear.
The peplum has come back to fashion with a modern twist and looks much simpler and more interesting now. It comes in various forms, both bolder and more demure shapes and is no longer considered to be a detail to be scared of. They appear on elegant dresses and jackets, skirts and tops, blouses and pants, shorts and even jumpsuits. And thanks to so many variations, there are numerous ways to wear them. However, if you want to look at your best in peplum, make sure to read through these amazing style tips on how to wear peplum.
Start with shapewear and cinch
Peplum is amazing for creating a sexy hour-glass figure and if you want that glass to be flawless and flare out only where the shirt does, make sure to wear a high-waisted panty or one-piece slimmer. If that doesn’t help you much, you can always cinch the waist with a belt. If you are more self-conscious about your middle, you can use a skinny belt, and, on the contrary, if you feel you want to hide that part, a wide belt can always cover anything you don’t want to be much visible.
Keep it simple
Peplum is already an exaggerated detail, so try to keep things as simple as possible for the best results. Avoiding bold, eye-catching colors and prints is definitely a great trick. Certainly you can wear vibrant peplum, if you feel much self-confident. Besides, patterned and colorful peplum matched with a dark skirt or dark pants can make your body look smaller. And if you want to create the illusion of a slimmer upper body, go for a bottom featuring colored or patterned peplum. Also try to avoid designs with extra-large poofs on the area of the hips. Think more structured tops and dresses that don’t add a huge boxy layer around the hips.
What to wear with peplum
To make sure your figure looks ideal in peplum, it’s important to know with what item you are wearing it. The vintage trend is to wear peplum with a pencil skirt, as this way you’ll accentuate the overall silhouette. However, keep in mind that pencil skirts tend to shorten the legs, so this look is more appropriate for taller girls. And if you are shorter or curvier, a pair of skinnies worn with peplum is the best fit for you. This modern way of wearing the peplum streamlines the lower body and makes it look slimmer. You can even try wide-leg pants.
How to accessorize when rocking the peplum
Since peplum tends to make one look shorter and curvier, it’s advised to wear high heel shoes or platforms with it. Other than that, it’s advised to keep your accessories to a minimum. You can play with waist belts to create the effect you want to.
Peplums can have both sliming and voluminous effects. To know how to cover your flaws and accentuate your best assets, it’s important to know these style tips and tricks:
• To accentuate your waist, go for a peplum on a jacket that is short and cute and that ends right above your hips. Use a belt.
• To add volume to the hips, think a skirt or a dress with puffy and fancy peplum that ends in the mid-section of your hips.
• To make the hips look narrower, try to find a sleek peplum with no volume. It should end after the widest part of your hips.
• To make your large bust look smaller, wear a skirt with darker color on peplum and a lighter color underneath.
• To get a slimming effect, opt for a total black outfit with a peplum.
• To balance your body proportions right, avoid A-line skirts with peplums. Only pencil skirts will be the trick.
• To make sure you don’t look short in the peplum, avoid long skirts or dresses with this detail. The hem of your skirt or dress should hit above the knee and just below it.
With these amazing peplum style tips, every girl is sure to look mesmerizing and sexy in clothes featuring peplums and prove men that peplums are actually stylish and attractive.
Photos courtesy of lookbook.nu