Being perfect accessorizing details capable of adding charm and extravaganza to your looks, hats and headwear pieces in general are also inseparable winter accessories for all those, who want to feel warm, comfy and cozy in the cold months. Surely, there are stylish summer hat types too, which aim to protect you from the harmful sunrays, at the same time making your personal image and showing off your strong personality. It turns out many women avoid wearing hats because they have difficulty in choosing the correct options for their own personal features and styles. This is why we want to present some really precious style tips for you here on how to choose the best winter hat for you and how and what with to wear it for building up the most statement-making looks ever!
Winter Hats For Your Face Shape
The primary and most important aspect that you need to consider for going for this or that type of hat is your own face shape. No matter how trendy and expensive a hat can be, it will hardly make you look classy if it doesn’t match your own facial features. Therefore, you need to go for the correct options of winter hats, which will accentuate your best assets and will build up your looks instead of spoiling them.
• Oval Face: Women with an oval face shape are the luckiest ones, as this is the most balanced and proportional face shape, which allows wearing almost any type of hat, be that a knitted beanie, a beret, a hair scarf, a bulky cap or the stylish ushanka-hat (the famous trooper hat). So you are free to experiment with any type of winter hats, finding the best options for your outfits and personal style.
• Round Face: Ladies with round faces should stick to broad-brimmed hats, high crown ones, asymmetrical styles and slightly bulky options, which will visually slim down and elongate the face, making it look more balanced. Stick to structural hats to give definition to your best facial features. It’s important to avoid any tight-fitting hats and hat scarfs, which will instantly put the focus on the roundness of your face.
• Heart-Shaped Face: Those having a triangular or heart shaped face should go for tight-fitting hats, shawls and options having narrow brims, since if you pick something wide-brimmed you will make your wide forehead look even wider, which isn’t what you want to do. However, you should also avoid over-fitting models, which will focus on the upper part of your face. A bucket hat is one ideal option you can consider.
• Square Face: To give slightly round forms to your square face, go for brimmed hats, which will add softness to your looks. Asymmetrical forms of hats can also flatter your face shape. All the types of hats with earflaps are perhaps the best options you can consider.
• Oblong Face: To slightly shorten your oblong face and make it look ideally proportional, give preference to hats that cover your forehead leaving the cheeks and the cheekbones open. Retro cloche hats and circular brimmed ones pulled down on the forehead are also good options for you. You should never pick hats with high crowns, which will make your oblong face look even longer.
Winter Hats and The Hair Colors
Although at first sight a trivial detail, your hair color also plays a great role in finding the most ideal winter hat for you. So it’s not only the clothing pieces and other accessories that you wear a hat with that need to be taken into account, but also your hair tone. Sticking to these rules, you’ll find the most harmonious colors of hats for you!
• Brown-haired women are advised to go for hats in chocolate, black and blue shades.
• Blonde beauties should give their preference to gray, brown, black, blue, red and pink alternatives. Any bright shades will work in this case, however, light pastel colors aren’t that recommended, especially if you have a pale complexion.
• Brunettes will manage to accentuate their beautiful hair color wearing burgundy, blue and red hats. Generally, black-haired women can experiment with almost any shade, taking their outfits into account.
• Red-haired fashionisers can pick stylish hats in brown, gold, yellow, green, plum, black and gray. Red isn’t the best option in this case.
Winter Hats and The Figure
Apart from your peculiar face form and hair color, your body shape and height also have their influence on your choice of winter hats. So it turns out your hat should match your figure as well. Thus, you should also take these notes into account, when deciding to buy a certain hat:
• Tall women are recommended to go for voluminous headgear, like wide-brimmed options, fur and knitted styles. Avoid wearing small and tight-fitting hats, which will make your head look smaller in comparison with your height.
• On the other hand, petite slim women should ditch all forms of massive hats, which will make them look like mushrooms. Keep in mind that the brim of your hat can never be wider than your shoulders. Small and tight-fitting hats will balance your figure ideally. You can also try options with a high crown to slightly increase your height and appear taller.
• No matter tall or short, plus size women should never go for tiny hats. They should go for wide-brimmed hats and massive options, which will look harmonious with their body shapes.
• Women with broad shoulders should pick voluminous hats in lighter shades, preferably knitted or fur options.
Some More Helpful Hints
Finally, take all these nuances into account if you really want to buy the very ideal headwear for your effective winter looks.
• Women having small faces should stick to tiny models, while those with wide and chubby faces should give their preference to bulky styles of hats. Thus, in the first case berets and sporty caps will do, while chunky knitted beanies and wide-brimmed hats are ideal for the second case.
• Those wearing eyewear all the time should ditch hats decorated with flowers, ribbons or any other decorative elements. Instead, go for the plainest and classiest options.
• Bright colors of hats such as pink and red tend to lighten and freshen any complexion, while the white shades visually makes the skin look paler.
• Hats in green tones usually give a greenish hue to the skin, however those having green eyes are welcome to wear such hats.
• Beige toned hats especially flatter brunettes, while the traditional black hats can either make the complexion look too dark or emphasize its best features. So trying on a black hat before buying one is a good idea.
• The hat you choose shouldn’t be exactly in the same color as your outerwear is. You can always go one or two tones darker or lighter, or even pick completely different shades for your hats, still sticking to the main color blocking rules. Thus, black and gray tones look great with pink, while brown makes amazing pairs with pink or yellow. Black and white hues make the most versatile pairs with each other, and both of them can also be easily matched with any other bright tone.
• You should pay attention not only to the color compatibility of your headwear and outerwear, but also the overall styles. This way, complement your classic coats and jackets with a beret, while a cap or a trooper hat can look cool with a sporty jacket.
• Voluminous and strict bowel hats look amazing in combination with business suits and elegant coats.
• Material also plays a crucial role, and you should try to match the material of your hat with that of your outerwear for the most harmonious looks. This, however, doesn’t mean that you should wear only fur hats with fur coats, but you can try to find the most ideal and compatible texture and style of hats for your outerwear.
• It’s a good idea to match the color, overall style and texture of your gloves and scarf with those of your headwear for the most effective outfit combinations.
• Instead of buying a certain hat and then only trying to find a complementing outerwear for it, do it all vice versa, since having your outerwear you’ll easily determine the style and the color of your headwear.
Last but not least, you should treat winter hats as obligatory accessories, which will protect you from the severe cold and which will become incredible details for making your looks even brighter and more amazing. As you go out wearing a hat once, you’ll hardly ever be able to do without it, just like you always apply your makeup before going out.
Photos courtesy of Natalieoffduty, Negin Mirsalehi
Don’t Miss: How To Wear A Hat