Eye-catching, hot and dangerous, fluorescent neon colors really look fantastic and bright. Choosing acid green, muted neon, pink or electric blue clothes will make you stand out in the crowd. Indeed, these colors are very nice, feminine and add an intrigue to your style. They highlight your bright personality and your goal to keep up with the latest fashion trends. However, whenever choosing one of these colors make sure not to overuse the latter since it can be risky in the aspect that you may look like a three colored traffic light. Pair these colors with simpler and softer tones so that there is a contrast. Wear neon bright colors on the part of your body you most of all want to define, since, once the color appears on that zone, it will indeed attract attention first of all.
Whether neon is one of your favorite colors or you are just testing out the trend, it is still a great way to add some brightness and cheerfulness to your summer wardrobe and make you have a fresh look. Follow the style tips below and learn interesting things about the neon color trend and how to wear neon colors wisely in order not to look like a glow-stick.
How to Choose Neon Colors
When it comes to color trends today, one of the most loved and lively colors that make you look really glamorous is any shade of neon. The colors of bright green, pink, yellow and orange can change your entire look once chosen correctly and worn in harmony with the rest of the outfit. It is important to put the outfit together in a clever way, to use matching accessories in an appropriate quantity that will only compliment the look and you are done.
When choosing neon colored clothing, you need to be honest to yourself. Never opt for this or that color unless it is matching you well enough. No matter what today’s trend may be, the color for your body becomes trendy only when it suits you well. Always opt for the neon colors that emphasize your best features. For instance, neon blue tones highlight blue eyes, while tanner shades put the stress on hair highlights. You need to be open and enjoy the experience while attempting different pieces of these colors. Try different hues, examine your look in the mirror and compare each of the shades thoroughly. You will sure pick the ones that are for your skin tone and suit your figure properly. Once you feel comfortable in them, you will be able to show off your trendy look with confidence.
Since neon colors are trendy in today’s high fashion and everybody strives to have at least one piece of clothes in this color, here are some essential tips to follow when choosing neon clothes. For those being shy it is recommended to start with one shade of neon first. Once you start feeling comfortable in it, you can go on adding either matching accessories or other neon colors close in the shade. Start wearing these outfits on the beach, at home. Once you feel you are ready to show off, make these colors become your everyday choice for an ordinary casual look.
Other tips that will help you keep up with the trend while staying within your comfort zone are as follows:
• Pick the neon shade that you love most of all and that goes well with your skin tone and hair color. For example, if your face is pale, then accordingly yellow and orange will not look good for you. Instead, you should take brighter colors like neon pink or cobalt blue.
• Do not make all your outfits in the neon color. Remember that this trend may disappear soon and you will later regret for having spent too much money on this color. Take one or 2 pieces of clothes in the colors and combine them with neutral shades and you will sure have different variations for different occasions. Wear the neon color item with the clothing piece that you already have. A neon shirt, for instance, may look very stylish, when combined with some sexy skinny jeans you already have. Or simple accessories like a neon belt and matching purse can always be added to an outfit from your existing closet, giving it a second life.
• Think twice. If you do not want to catch attention, never opt for this color, since neon will always make you visible from afar.
• Check if the outfit fits you well. Since neon colors are extremely bold and eye-catching, they tend to make anyone look larger than they are. If you have a pear figure, use the neon colors for your top part. For apple shaped bodies feel free to use neon bottoms. If you have an ideal body shape with proper curves and slim legs, then wear neon on whichever zone you like.
• Choose accessories that will not overdo the outfit. Go for accessories that help to tone down the brightness of neon colors.
• Don’t know if the color will suit you? Then try small neon accessories first before purchasing any other piece of clothing. A neon belt or a clutch, or just your favorite neon nail polish can give you a hint if you like the color or not. Once you check these, go ahead buying your beloved neon color outfit.
Where to Wear Neon Colors
Since neon colors are bright ones, they can be easily worn on the beach. Here you do not have to limit yourself with one hue of neon only. Feel free to take all the neon colors with you since there is no other ideal place than the sunny beach to show off these bright and lively hues. Be sure that you can wear whatever you want without worrying about an over-colored look.
For other cases, the choice of neon colors depends on the type of the event you are going to participate. Check the dress code if there is any. Stay on the safe side without too much attention. It is better to be safe than inappropriate.
You shouldn’t wear bright neon colors at office, to an interview or during any other business related activities. Yet do not hesitate to wear neon colors on informal occasions, when visiting your friends, hanging out with them or for a school cocktail party. For any other events that demand high fashion, neon colors can by all means prevail in your outfit.
How to Wear neon Colors
If you’re bold and adventurous, neon colors are a great way to cheer up your summer styling. Try a neon dress, a yellow or a pink one, for example, and wear it with a nude blazer to calm things down. This will be an ideal outfit for both a casual day wear and evening look.
However, for everyday use, neon colors can be a little bit tricky, so pay attention to the tips suggested below learning how to put neon things together. The key elements to always keep in mind with neon colors are as follows:
• Use black or neutral together with neon colors in order to bring the bold and bright hues into balance.
• Do not take too many accessories with these bright colors. Don’t match your bangles and hoops to your neon mini skirt, for instance.
• Neon on the bottom half is not that acceptable in most cases, because it’s not next to your face. Especially if you do not have a slim figure in the thigh area, then you will highlight the imperfection even more. You had better keep neon tones for your top part and wear darker shades beneath.
• Dark black tights always work. With these tights you can choose any neon color for your top or neon loose dresses and you will have a fascinating look.
In a word, it is important to pair your outfits in taste. To be on the safe side avoiding being considered way too tasteless, dress as you would normally do and wear one piece of cloth in neon color. Combine colors as you normally do and apply this to neon colors. For example, if blue and yellow look good together, then use fluorescent yellow shorts with a vibrant blue blouse. Stick to the color blocking rules, and you’ll do it right.
However, if there are colors that you do not know how to combine, turn to the classical white or black ones. Combine the neon color with a white or black piece and you will have an ideal outfit.
If in the summer you want to look all in neon, combining two neon pieces, make sure that one is brighter than the other one. Or if you want to excess the limits and go for 3 colors of neon, which is indeed very risky and does not suit everyone, then at least pick 2 that are within the same family of colors and pick the third one in a different neon hue. For example: a pink and orange pair of shorts, pink shirt and green cardigan.
Accessorizing Neon Colors
The best way is to start with the little things, like accessories. Just add a touch of neon here and there and your outfit will be complete. Here are some quick tips to follow:
• Since neon is indeed a big trend today, feel free balancing it out with accessories of softer colors. Mix neutral shoes with bright jewellery pieces, for instance. You can finish off your look with a bright nail polish color.
• You can always try the trend of neon color wearing it in a subtle way. Mix-and-matching with neutrals is a smart way of nailing down the neon trend. For instance, team up a neon top with a basic, black skirt. Toned down colors will create a harmony in your look, making your neon clothes more wearable. Accessorize your look with neutral ballet flats and a classic bag, and you are ready to go!
• Perhaps the safest way of wearing neons is trying neon accessories. For instance, wear a simple neutral top with classic, black pants, and finish off your look with bright neon high heeled shoes or a bag. You can also put on a neon necklace, earrings or bracelets for a frisky result. A classical look will always be modernized and refreshed with a slight touch of neon appearing on it.
• Man stylists recommend a satchel bag in bright yellow that can be complimenting a formal dress or a white tee with cropped pants. Long necklaces with shocking pink pendants also look great. Even if you have a strict dress code at the office you work, there is still a chance for you to make use of these colors, which will never harm your career. Instead of having a gloomy, dull raincoat, opt for a neon-colored or transparent trench coat. You will feel fashionable, will satisfy your hunger for the trend, however once you get to the office you can take it off and no dress code restrictions can be applied against you. Or you can choose plastic neon umbrellas instead. Any accessory in neon tones can be easily used by you.
Another smart way of wearing neon colors is working in a combination of two colors or a combination of the same hues. Thus, you can mix and match one neon hue with pastels or neutral shades. Or wear a neon shade of the same color with a non-neon shade of it, like a baby pink wit neon pink, or a neon blue with a brick blue. And why not add some light neon touches to your look with the help of a scarf, a hair accessory, a belt or sunnies. And you will look extremely trendy and appealing. Last but not least, you can turn to the trick of wearing a neon makeup.
There are so many ways of wearing neon colored clothes that you simply cannot keep all of them in mind. Always make sure to try each of the accessories first, compare the final look, make sure you do not lack confidence in the outfit and once ready, feel free to head out to show off yourself.
Photos courtesy of lookbook.nu